Thursday, April 06, 2006

A Fool and His Money...

In 1997, or thereabouts, I rented a VCR from an electrical shop. For those of you who live in Glasgow and can remember - it wasn't Glens, Hutchesons or Stepek, it was the other one. (I apologise to international readers for the unfunny parochial in-jokery)

I was poor and unwilling to live without a bit of light entertainment. The video shop in Partick where I lived at the time had the biggest and best rental selection in the city. I couldn't miss out. So I signed up for a year, paying £9 a month, and I thought no more of it.

I have only just ended the rental contract.

I have paid approximately £1000 to rent a piece of equipment for which I would not pay £2 in a car boot sale. And I have the nerve to present myself as a purveyor of wisdom on our website! What an arse...

Still, every cloud etc etc. When I wrote to the electrical shop to end the contract, I joked that they should just let me keep the VCR instead of coming to collect it. They wrote back and said that they would let me do just that, because I had been "such an excellent customer". How right they were.

Now, where did I leave those magic beans?...

Kenny

4 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

Pitchfork Media had a great review of the new single, folks. Can't wait to hear it!

1:57 am  
Blogger SmeatonTwoVeg said...

had a similar but more 21st century situation with a mobile phone the other month. except i never got the phone. and i didn't get to keep anything. bastards.

i saw the concretes at ulu last night. it was tattietastic!

9:20 am  
Blogger AndyOfVermont said...

I just wanted to let y'all know that I was introduced to "Keep it Clean" by a good friend with inspiring musical taste just this week. I never heard of you guys before that, and I still only know you by that one song, but great sound, great song! I'll be exploring further for sure. The best radio station ever has let me down by not introducing you to me sooner! Unless I did hear something and I zoned out on hearing who the artist was; that happens sometimes. But if indeed they haven't been playing you, they'll be getting a sharp rebuke from me. :-) Rock On.

3:26 am  
Blogger Man on Fire said...

hahaha.. so they actually let you keep it huh? well now you can go sell it at a yard sale or something and make some money out of it, or keep it for the sake of the story and the money involved in it.

12:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home